In February 2015, GlobalMeatNews conducted its annual industry survey on its extensive user base of global meat industry professionals.
The objective of this survey was to gauge opinions on the current state of the global meat industry and to identify which issues were of most importance to businesses. In addition to this, users were also asked about online usage trends in their day-to-day work life.
This survey was taken by more than 230 meat industry professionals around the globe.
Highlights from the survey results are given below:
State of the global meat industry – key findings:
- The majority of respondents (26.80%) said that the Russian sanctions on Europe, US, Canada, Australia and Norway impact more on their business than any other single trade-related issue
- Seventy-nine percent (down by 5% compared to last year) of respondents have an optimistic outlook about the future of their company
- Eighty-three percent strongly agreed that the global meat industry must put more emphasis on animal welfare and impose tougher regulations
Online trends among meat industry professionals:
- The top three buzzwords that generated the greatest amount of interest were ‘beef’, ‘industry trends’ and ‘pork’ - which moved up to third position from fifth in 2014
- The top three reasons why meat industry professionals use the internet during their working life were to search for news & trends, research and identify products, and to source equipment, services and suppliers
- Feedback also suggested that the global meat industry has not fully realised the value of social media to their businesses. From our survey, readers rated social media websites and blogs as the least valuable sources of information when searching for work-related purchases or information