Breaking News on Global Meat Trading and Processing

Product Innovations > Poultry

BRF to buy Turkey’s Banvit in $470m venture

Post a comment
Oscar Rousseau

By Oscar Rousseau+

Last updated on 10-Jan-2017 at 13:20 GMT2017-01-10T13:20:09Z

BRF said Turkey is one of the world's largest poultry markets for halal meat
BRF said Turkey is one of the world's largest poultry markets for halal meat

Brazilian meatpacker BRF SA and Qatar’s sovereign wealth fund have agreed to buy outright the largest poultry producer in Turkey, Banvit, in a joint venture worth $470m. 

BRF’s newly formed subsidiary OneFoods – ostensibly the largest halal brand in the world – will take a 60% stake in the venture, while the Qatar Investment Authority (QIA) will hold the remaining 40%.

The deal is part of BRF’s manoeuvring to establish itself as the foremost player in the halal market. Once complete, the acquisition will give BRF subsidiary OneFoods access to the Turkish market, which has the largest consumption of halal poultry in the world, according to BRF.

The acquisition of Banvit is the first step on the agenda to accelerate the growth of OneFoods,” added Patricio Rohner, BRF’s general director in the Middle East and North Africa and head of OneFoods.

Huge halal market

He boasted in a statement that OneFoods already retains approximately a 45% share of the poultry market in Saudi Arabia , United Arab Emirates, Kuwait, Qatar and Oman.

Turkey accounts for roughly 10% of global halal poultry consumption and the pending acquisition of Banvit with QIA will bring “important commercial and operational synergies” to the halal subsidiary, added Rohner.

Banvit is a fully integrated poultry business with operations ranging from feed control to food processing. The company has five feed plants, four chicken hatcheries and five production facilities, located in the west and east of the country.

BRF published a financial bulletin to the market in which it estimated the net debt of Banvit to be $340m.

The first part of the deal will see the joint venture acquire a 79.5% stake in Turkish poultry giant Banvit, followed by a mandatory tender to buy the remaining 20.5% of the shares from minority shareholders.

The takeover is subject to anti-trust approval, as well as other regulatory protocols.

Post a comment

Comment title *
Your comment *
Your name *
Your email *

We will not publish your email on the site

I agree to Terms and Conditions

These comments have not been moderated. You are encouraged to participate with comments that are relevant to our news stories. You should not post comments that are abusive, threatening, defamatory, misleading or invasive of privacy. For the full terms and conditions for commenting see clause 7 of our Terms and Conditions ‘Participating in Online Communities’. These terms may be updated from time to time, so please read them before posting a comment. Any comment that violates these terms may be removed in its entirety as we do not edit comments. If you wish to complain about a comment please use the "REPORT ABUSE" button or contact the editors.

Related products

Related suppliers