Argentina makes first beef shipment to the US

By Ashley Williams

- Last updated on GMT

First Argentine beef shipment reaches US
Following the reopening of the US market for beef, Argentina’s Government of Agribusiness has revealed it has made its first transit over to the US.

According to the organisation, Argentina shipped around 500kg of beef to Miami, Florida just 15 days after resuming beef​ trade with the US.

The US banned beef trade with Argentina 17 years ago, due to the presence of foot-and-mouth disease, but reopened the market following negotiations with the National Service of Health and Agri-Food Quality (Senasa) and the US Department of Agriculture (USDA).

The re-opening of the market was attributed to agricultural bodies in both the US and Argentina, which are aiming to strengthen trade ties with eachother.

“It is a huge satisfaction that just 15 days after announcing the reopening of the US market, the first export will be completed, as well as high-value cuts for a market with great potential, which will translate into greater employment for every corner of Argentina​,” said Argentina’s agricultural secretary Luis Miguel Etchevehere.

2018 will be remembered as an historic year in the meat export market, when Argentina is consolidated as the sixth-largest exporter in the world and second in Mercosur, and a year where bovine exports grew 70.1%.”

Argentina is set to export 20,000 tonnes of bovine meat to the US every year, which will represent around US$150m-US$180m in value.

The Argentinian government has estimated that 80% of its products will be used for lean meat, which is driving demand in the production of hamburgers, while the remaining 20% will be used for high-quality cuts.

Related news

Show more

Related products

The unique natural anti-oxidant for meat applications

The unique natural anti-oxidant for meat applications

Kancor Ingredients Limited | 28-Feb-2019 | Technical / White Paper

Fresh meat is preferred in bright red colour but is highly prone to oxidation and is colour sensitive to extracts. Kancor’s OxiKan R, a highly refined...

Microbiological safety of raw-fermented sausages

Microbiological safety of raw-fermented sausages

Jungbunzlauer | 18-Feb-2019 | Technical / White Paper

Raw-fermented sausages are prone to the contamination with pathogens such as Salmonella and Listeria. Jungbunzlauer gives a new impetus to the exploration...

From trust grows success

From trust grows success

K+G Wetter | 09-Oct-2017 | Data Sheet

The award winning company Wünsch’s Fleischspezialitäten sets new quality standards for meat products – using machines made by K+G Wetter.

Related suppliers